Saturday, January 28, 2006

The function of the university...

When I was an undergrad, we got course schedules from the registration office at the beginning of every semester. Looking at that schedule, we made our own course plan. At the back cover of those schedules, there were nice quotes about education, university life etc. (just before the schedule and the registration process went online, the backcover had started to be used for ads, anyway :-)

I was quite touched by one of the backcover quotes. So, I cut and pasted it on my wall. Here it is:

"The function of the university is not simply to teach bread-winning, or to furnish teachers for the public schools, or to be a centre of polite society; it is, above all, to be the organ of that fine adjustment between real life and the growing knowledge of life, an adjustment which forms the secret of civilization."

W. E. B. Du Bois

Nice, isn't it? I don't know which schedule was that but it was sometime between Spring 1995 and Spring 1998. I thank those who put quotes like this at the backcover of our schedules back then.

Btw, that cut part is still on my wall.

No comments: